Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Press & Politics in America



We are studying a book called Truth Enough by Manjoo. He focuses on what truth really is, and goes into some "Conspiracy Theories." We watched this video in my class last night, although I watched a previous version a couple of years ago. Keep in mind that this is a consipiracy theory, but helps in assisting the public to question what truth is. Take a look and let me know your thoughts. This is Part 1 of the vidoe, if you would like more, you can find Part 2 on You Tube.

My thoughts . . . Dylan Avery, the creator, uses emotion to aid the public into believing his view. I will never claim to really understand what happened on September 11, 2001, but who are experts? What classifies a person as an expert? The general public does not have the time nor resources to check out every expert to validate their credentials. So what do we do? When we are told that a doctor has been researching at Harvard medical school for 25 years and has implimented life saving cures, we believe. That is what I do. I have never checked up on an "alleged" expert. I do like that the video makes me question what goes on behind the scenes though.

2 comments:

Ryan's Ramblings said...

You guys should watch National Geographic's documentary entitled, "Inside, 9/11". Very unbiased and well-done. It's a little long, about three-and-a-half hours, but Allison and I really loved it. We checked it out at the library a few days ago and watched it in one sitting. It answers a lot about the why and how behind September 11.

Becca said...

I, like you, won't claim to know what really happened that day. I do think the media plays a big roll in how people react to many circumstances, though & that they often cause more chaos than is needed! My opinion of the media (especially locally) has changed drastically since Chad became a police officer, as they don't always tell the whole story, or both sides of it.

Thanks for making me think harder about why we tend to believe what we see :) It was a good eye opener!